Did you know the art of embroidery has been found worldwide, with early examples dating back to the third or fourth century BC in China? It is truly a universal handicraft that has stood the test of time. I believe it’s one of the most popular forms of sewing due to its versatility, customization and beauty. In recent years, the love for embroidery has entered a new, younger generation, which has translated into a new group of “students” and more modern, fresh designs.
One of the best places to learn is online where there’s a mix of paid and free courses or tutorials. For our latest Tip Tuesday, we’ve put together a round up of some of the ones that are perfect for the new embroiderer, or the experienced embroiderer looking to hone their skills.
- Echidna features courses from our mentor and expert Deborah Jones on hooping, stabilizing, lettering, threading and more. The video courses also include reference charts, checklists and practical tips and techniques to support learning.
- This video from CommonthreadUS by DMC is a perfect beginner level tutorial for learning the basics of embroidery.
- Mary Corbett’s Needle ‘N Thread has a number of free videos showing different types of stitches, knots and other embroidery techniques. They are short, but easy to follow and she provides informative descriptions along the way.
- Craftsy is another go-to destination for embroidery courses. You can search by beginner, intermediate or advanced, and the courses are reasonably priced (and often on sale). We love Deborah Jones’ courses that teach machine embroidery. We also like this course about How to Start a Machine Embroidery Business – as we’ve said before, it’s fantastic to take your passion and talent for embroidery and turn into a profitable business.
- And last, but not least, if you’re new to Embroider Buddy®, we have a short video that shows how to embroider our plush toys.
How do you like to learn new techniques? Is there anything you’d like to learn but just haven’t found the right resource yet? Tell us, and we’ll see if we can help!